RHEL4 Sound
Mick Farmer
2005-09-22 13:27:05 UTC
Dear GLLUGers,

This is my machine.

Linux penguin.dcs.bbk.ac.uk 2.6.9-11.EL #1 \
Fri May 20 18:17:57 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Sound configuration reports an Intel AC'97 Audio Controller
which uses the module snd-intel8x0. Unfortunately, there is
no sound.

Does anyone know how I can get sound working?

Regards,

Mick /"\
\ /
Linux Registered X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765 / \ Against HTML Mail
Joel Bernstein
2005-09-22 13:42:20 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Sound configuration reports an Intel AC'97 Audio Controller
which uses the module snd-intel8x0. Unfortunately, there is
no sound.
Are the appropriate mixer channels unmuted and set to a reasonable
level?
Post by Mick Farmer
Does anyone know how I can get sound working?
Run alsamixer, set the levels and muting right, then try telling xmms to
use its alsa09 driver to play an MP3. Failing that, check that other
sound software like esd and artsd aren't running.

/joel
Stuart Sears
2005-09-22 13:40:57 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear GLLUGers,
This is my machine.
Linux penguin.dcs.bbk.ac.uk 2.6.9-11.EL #1 \
Fri May 20 18:17:57 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Sound configuration reports an Intel AC'97 Audio Controller
which uses the module snd-intel8x0. Unfortunately, there is
no sound.
Does anyone know how I can get sound working?
simple suggestions first...
alsamixer?
Volumes in ALSA are muted by default, IIRC

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
die_if_kernel("Kernel gets FloatingPenguinUnit disabled trap", regs);
linux-2.2.16/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c
Mick Farmer
2005-09-22 15:56:26 UTC
Dear Stuart & Others,

Many thanks for your help. I had the port muted. Doh...

Regards,

Mick /"\
\ /
Mick Farmer
2012-04-02 22:01:24 UTC
Dear Stuart,

Thank you for your help, which I had to read very carefully
before realising that it was correct. Please take this as a
compliment!

Regards,

Mick /"\
\ /