Fedora 16 Startup
Mick Farmer
2012-05-03 19:43:57 UTC
Dear GLLUGers,

Is there anyone willing to configure my system so that it uses static IP
and MAC addresses rather than DHCP which I can't disable in spite of
looking through Google.

I'm in SE13 and happy to pay.

Regards,

Mick

Dave Cross
2012-05-03 19:51:45 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear GLLUGers,
Is there anyone willing to configure my system so that it uses static IP
and MAC addresses rather than DHCP which I can't disable in spite of
looking through Google.
I'm in SE13 and happy to pay.
This description seems to be simple and accurate.

http://rajaseelan.com/2011/12/05/fedora-16-configure-network-interface-with-static-ip-address/

Dave...

Stuart Sears
2012-05-04 09:21:56 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear GLLUGers,
Is there anyone willing to configure my system so that it uses static IP
and MAC addresses rather than DHCP which I can't disable in spite of
looking through Google.
Mick, as with all of these sorts of queries, it would really help if you
let us know (at least some of)
1. what you already attempted,
2. which howto guides you followed,
3. what the results were,
4. what you didn't understand
etc etc

You'll get better help far more quickly that way. Just sayin.

What were your search terms on google. I found about 6 guides almost
immediately using 'fedora 16 static ip'.

This should be a fairly straightforward process (in fact Dave has posted
a link to a fairly detailed HOWTO for the commandline/config file approach.

Alternatively, you should be able to do this via the NetworkManager Icon
on the panel.

here's a link on doing that:
http://www.php2s.com/linux/how-to-configure-network-interface-on-fedora-16-using-networkmanager.html

or http://goo.gl/HzEVS
if that link wraps in this email message.

Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.
"It's today!" said Piglet.
Mick Farmer
2012-05-06 20:51:02 UTC
Dear Stuart,

I've looked at more "advice" sights than I've had hot dinners. My
current summary of the situation is as follows.

File /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is set up for static IP,
but is never activated.

However, Fedora always starts Wired-connection-1 which, I assume, uses
DHCP by default. There is no Wired-connection-1 in the scripts
directory, but the interface is still named eth0 by ifconfig.

nm-connection-editor shows Wired-connection-1 and eth0 as available
interfaces, but eth0 is shown as not activated while Wired-connection-1
shows activation which agrees with my login time, etc.

So, put simply, my OS is not using the appropriate script, but takes its
own course of action. I can't find where this is defined.

Regards,

Mick

Chris Bell
2012-05-06 21:53:56 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
File /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is set up for static IP,
but is never activated.
There is a file in Debian called /etc/network/interfaces in which the
first line relating to interface eth0 defines it as static or dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

DL Neil
2012-05-06 22:42:41 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Bell
Post by Mick Farmer
File /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is set up for static IP,
but is never activated.
There is a file in Debian called /etc/network/interfaces in which the
first line relating to interface eth0 defines it as static or dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
Sadly network interfacing (and script directory layout, even GUI
tool-sets) is one of those areas of Linux non-standard-ility (see also
Apt cf RPM) - so this doesn't apply to Mick's Fedora installation.

Grump, grump!
--
Regards,
=dn
DL Neil
2012-05-06 22:38:57 UTC
Dear Mick,
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear Stuart,
I've looked at more "advice" sights than I've had hot dinners. My
current summary of the situation is as follows.
Perhaps Stuart's point was that you didn't tell us this/which sites,
what you had tried before writing here, etc?

So, amongst the 'hot dinners' did you find the likes of:

"Fedora 16 configure network interface using NetworkManager"
http://www.labtestproject.com/linux_network/fedora_16_configure_network_interface_using_networkmanager.html

- at which step did things come unstuck for you? ("more information")

Did you go to the horse's mouth? Fedora's docs site is useful and
in-particular the System Administrator's Guide:

"Chapter 6. Network Interfaces"
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/System_Administrators_Guide/ch-Network_Interfaces.html#s1-networkscripts-files

Interestingly, this makes no mention (to my quick re-read) of the
ifconfig command. "Wiser heads" may be able to say if it is being
deprecated/point us at 'the word'? Certainly the docs underline the use
of ifup and ifdown!

(personally I find these names a bit annoying in their ambiguity, eg
coding boolean scripts/procedures beginning with "if" to 'ask a
question' cf abbreviate "interface" - however that's me!?)

Instead they major on the graphical interface: "Network Connections".
However many of us are used to the cmdLN methods, (apparently) including
yourself... (for which there is fair warning in the docs with the
proviso "experienced" - er, um, here be dragons...)
Post by Mick Farmer
File /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is set up for static IP,
but is never activated.
Does your machine enjoy multiple wired Ethernet ports?
("more information")
Post by Mick Farmer
However, Fedora always starts Wired-connection-1 which, I assume, uses
DHCP by default. There is no Wired-connection-1 in the scripts
directory, but the interface is still named eth0 by ifconfig.
To keep us on our toes (or for good reasons explained in the docs...)
device naming conventions have changed. Did your "hot dinners" include:

"Consistent Network Device Naming"
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
Post by Mick Farmer
nm-connection-editor shows Wired-connection-1 and eth0 as available
interfaces, but eth0 is shown as not activated while Wired-connection-1
shows activation which agrees with my login time, etc.
If I understand 'the brave new world' correctly, the "eth0" bits are no
longer 'it'. These days we're moving to devices identified by UIDs (per
doc ref-ed above)

Thus "Wired-connection-1" is but a label (and wiser heads than mine can
probably confirm that so is "eth0"). You can change it to anything you
like/that suits your NM GUI display. This laptop (upon which I write to
you) has two wired connection definitions:

"Wired DHCP eth0", and
"Wired Fixed 199".

The first word (somewhat unnecessarily - in the GUI!) separates these
from the wireless connections*. The second documents the addressing
scheme employed, and the last gives me the backward-compatibility that
makes my (aged) memory happy or the last octet of the fixed IPaddr (resp).

* connections, particularly wireless, 'announce' themselves (per DNS,
etc). However if I arrive somewhere and they've used a meaningless (to
me) ID, I simply amend the label, eg "Fred" for a friend's network which
announces the router manufacturer's default still (but not for long!!!)
Post by Mick Farmer
So, put simply, my OS is not using the appropriate script, but takes its
own course of action. I can't find where this is defined.
So, again under the heading of "more information", why not post# the
relevant script(s)? (suitably redacted if necessary)

# I think the GLLUG list s/w prefers in-line cf attachments

...and so why don't I? Good question, and I'm uncomfortable that you
asked...

Firstly my LAN features a mix of 'servers' and 'clients'. The network
s/w I employ is "dnsmasq" (offers both DNS and DHCP functionality, a
simple sub-set of a multiplicity and complexity of config-options, and
is considerably easier than the 'enterprise' alternatives (perhaps) more
usually applied).

In my laziness (and those "wiser heads" may 'lecture' me on this) I
leave ALL machines on the DHCP default that Anaconda seems to
auto-install (in all of the Fedora/CentOS/RHEL versions currently used);
and then I amend the dnsmasq configuration to take the MAC address% of a
DHCP-applicant. If it is a server-machine, dnsmasq allocates it with the
fixed IPaddr - and if not DHCP applies.

Accordingly I don't (usually) set up Fedora (et al) interfaces for fixed
addressing (or claim any skill therein).

Ahah you say: "but you said...199". Correct! I have this one connection
to a hardware router with no DHCP server and located off my LAN -
accordingly I had to configure the "subnet.199" script - for which I
used the GUI "Network Connections" and IIRC it 'just worked'. Which is
absolutely no help to you...

When I look at the generated script I become nervous because it
misses-out stuff that is mentioned in Chapter 6, eg "DEVICE=" (see
above). Do I have something that only works in this one fluke of a
configuration - or perhaps have the docs yet to catch-up with all of the
new release's changes - or ... ? So the last thing you want is "the
blind leading the blind" - or at least that's my story...

Sadly I can't immediately reach that router to bring up the connection
and then check ifconfig (or whatever) for you.

At the risk of 'teaching grandma', have you been wiping the
DHCP-allocated IPaddr lease from the DHCP server? Have you been
re-starting the interface and/or NetworkManager after each edit of the
config?
(again "wiser heads" may advise on the (un)necessity of this...)

Echoing Mick's criticism:
The more info you provide, the more those "wiser heads" have to work-with.
The more info, the more inclined people are to put in the (voluntary) time.
The more you help 'us'/'them', the more inclined we/they will be to help
you!
(but it's hard to sift the wheat from the chaff!!!)
--
Regards,
=dn
Robert
2012-05-06 22:26:16 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
nm-connection-editor shows Wired-connection-1 and eth0 as available
interfaces, but eth0 is shown as not activated while Wired-connection-1
shows activation which agrees with my login time, etc.
So, put simply, my OS is not using the appropriate script, but takes its
own course of action. I can't find where this is defined.
Who is Stuart just out of interest?

You can maybe delete wired-connection-1 from the list or stop network
manager from being the controller of your network connections, or even
just setup wired-connection-1 to have a static IP.

Do you have the following line in your ifcfg-eth0 file:
/ONBOOT=yes/

I believe the network service will look at all the ifcfg-* files found
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and read them to see what action needs
to be taken.
you can try the follow command to see which have been brought up and
listed as active
/service network status

/Hopefully this should be correct and helpful.
Stuart Sears
2012-05-07 13:43:28 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear Stuart,
I've looked at more "advice" sights than I've had hot dinners. My
current summary of the situation is as follows.
I don't need your summary to help.
I need specific information.
For example (but not necessarily limited to)
* the output of the commands you say you have run,
* the precise howto instructions you've followed etc etc.
* what happened afterwards.

If you're not going to provide that information, I can't be of any
assistance at all. I'd be surprised if anyone can be, unless they can
read your mind or get lucky by guesswork.
I'm sorry if that sounds rude or dismissive, but it is true.

If you don't know how to provide that information, then ask. We can help
with that.
Post by Mick Farmer
File /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is set up for static IP,
but is never activated.
Are you sure it is eth0 that you need to be configuring?
if so, what *exactly* is in that file?

Newer versions of Fedora have changed the way network devices are named,
to match PCI ordering and to distinguish between onboard and offboard
devices.
Here my primary interface is actually called 'em1' because it is the
first 'embedded' device on my motherboard.

I stand by my earlier statements - we need more *specific* information.
Post by Mick Farmer
However, Fedora always starts Wired-connection-1 which, I assume, uses
DHCP by default. There is no Wired-connection-1 in the scripts
directory, but the interface is still named eth0 by ifconfig.
So, please post the output of 'ifconfig' or 'ip addr' here. Or both, if
you like.

And 'service network status' too.
and 'dmesg | grep eth0'

Then we might have some idea what is happening on your system.
Also, tell us *exactly* what you have done about it, or to attempt to
change it.
Post by Mick Farmer
nm-connection-editor shows Wired-connection-1 and eth0 as available
interfaces, but eth0 is shown as not activated while Wired-connection-1
shows activation which agrees with my login time, etc.
Which hardware device does Wired-connection-1 claim to be using?
To see this, click on the network icon on your desktop panel, then
'network settings', then the 'configure' button.

You should see the MAC address in use and should be able to align that
with a local device. In fact here it's after the MAC address, like so
"AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:01 (em1)"

Have you used the 'configure' option to set manual network addressing
for 'Wired Connection 1' ?
That should work. It did here.
Post by Mick Farmer
So, put simply, my OS is not using the appropriate script, but takes its
own course of action. I can't find where this is defined.
Once again, where have you looked?

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.