Advice for new machine.
Dylan
2011-08-24 14:20:34 UTC
Hi Guys

I'm nearly finished refitting my cellar and now considerations turn to the
computer ... The machine will primarily be used for entertainment, including
processing audio and video files.

I'm looking for advice and comments on the following:

MOTHERBOARD (inc processor and memory):
I know practically nothing about current motherboards and processors, but
since this is the basis of the system I'd like to get it right. I'm working
from the assumption that processor power has out-stripped my needs so "the
best I'm prepared to pay for" - but what are the pros and cons of Intel vs
AMD? wrt memory, I reckon more is better but what considerations should I be
weighing up (I know nothing about memory technology at all.) I'm also unsure
about he variety of PCI card slots available.

DISPLAY:
I will want to run at least two displays from the machine - "normal" monitors
and either a TV or projector. I can sort out the display device myself - the
video adaptor is a different matter. I can imagine that I would want separate
desktops which could either be on the same login session or separate sessions,
They would necessarily be different resolution and aspect ratio, and
connection-type most likely. Does that entail separate graphics adaptors or do
multi-output models support differing resolution etc?

Thanks for any advice or comments - if you want more info then please ask...

Dylan
--
" '... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...' "

John Hearns
2011-08-24 14:59:50 UTC
Post by Dylan
I will want to run at least two displays from the machine - "normal" monitors
and either a TV or projector. I can sort out the display device myself - the
video adaptor is a different matter. I can imagine that I would want separate
desktops which could either be on the same login session or separate sessions,
If you want separate sessions, rather than just two (or more) monitors
you need to
Google for 'X multiseat'

But you don't need to do this - I would configure multiple monitors on
the same session if I were you.
John Hearns
2011-08-24 15:02:59 UTC
Post by Dylan
I will want to run at least two displays from the machine - "normal" monitors
and either a TV or projector.
Do you have a cable run between the cellar location and your TV, and
have you measured the length?
Dylan
2011-08-24 16:18:22 UTC
Post by John Hearns
Post by Dylan
I will want to run at least two displays from the machine - "normal"
monitors and either a TV or projector.
Do you have a cable run between the cellar location and your TV, and
have you measured the length?
The "TV" screen will be in the cellar with the computer and other displays...
John Hearns
2011-08-25 09:08:11 UTC
Post by Dylan
The "TV" screen will be in the cellar with the computer and other displays...
Beside your shark tank and the fricking lasers?

As Roger says, the Nvidia utility 'nvidia-settings' makes it easy to
set up multiple screens when you're
using Nvidia drivers. Let me know what resolutions you are after and
I'll run a quick test on one of my workstations.
j.roberts
2011-08-24 15:19:16 UTC
Post by Dylan
I know practically nothing about current motherboards and processors, but
since this is the basis of the system I'd like to get it right..
One word of possible advice: whichever and whatever processor/mb you
want to buy, I'd hold off for a month or so. The new AMD series is due
out then (it is hoped), and when it arrives all other prices will take
another dive downwards (I expect).

I am waiting to do a refresh myself until then.

Unless you have serious multitasking or gaming needs, just about any
midrange AMD or Intel processor will offer fine desktop performance.

If you have more info on what you are intending to use it for then
better advice would be possible...

MeJ
2011-08-25 01:38:01 UTC
Post by Dylan
[...]
The best grunt per pound processors that will be good at AV and aren't
stupidly expensive right now are the £150 Intel i5-2500 (a very nippy
quad core) and the £105 AMD Llano A8-3850 (almost as fast for
significantly less). The vast majority of boards for these chips have
VGA, DVI & HDMI outs built in as the chips themselves have pretty decent
graphics on die already.

I'm not 100% sure if you can use all 3 of those outputs at the same time
under linux as I stuck an nVidia card into mine as soon as I built it so
I've never used the onboard gfx. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get at
least two running simultaneously though and even then, if you can't, the
cheapest £25 discrete card will give you 3 outs, at least two of which
you can use easily, if not all three.

nVidia's linux control panel definitely supports 2 separate X screens or
"TwinView" which is both merged into one big screen. You can apparently
also use Xinelera though I haven't tried that. AMD's linux panel I have
no experience of but their Windows one is pretty fully featured and
flexible when it comes to multiple outs so hopefully their linux one is
as good. You should have no trouble mixing different screen sizes and
resolutions with any of the multi-monitor modes, I'm running a 16/9 and
a 4/3 quite happily side by side, the resolutions can be adjusted
separately.

Roger.

James Roberts
2011-08-25 12:39:19 UTC
Post by g***@technicalbloke.com
and the £105 AMD Llano A8-3850 (almost as fast for
significantly less). The vast majority of boards for these chips have
VGA, DVI& HDMI outs built in as the chips themselves have pretty decent
graphics on die already.
I'm not 100% sure if you can use all 3 of those outputs at the same time
under linux
There have been some issues with Linux and the Llano APUs with open
drivers: follow this at -

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_llano_linux&num=1

It's probably working more or less now.
--
Stabilys Ltd www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane

0845 838 5370
pavithran
2012-03-22 19:39:25 UTC
Post by James Roberts
Post by g***@technicalbloke.com
and the £105 AMD Llano A8-3850 (almost as fast for
significantly less). The vast majority of boards for these chips have
VGA, DVI&  HDMI outs built in as the chips themselves have pretty decent
follow this at -
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_llano_linux&num=1
I am using
AMD A8-3870 APU with radeon 6550D graphics .

Any news on the newer support/open source drivers? I am using Catalyst
driver ( from ATI) on LMDE . It works pretty well .
--
pavithran sakamuri
http://look-pavi.blogspot.com