Laptop Fedora MAC Address
Mick Farmer
2012-04-11 17:41:37 UTC
Dear GLLUGers,

I'm running Fedora 16 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.

When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!

I can't imagine the laptop doing this (?), so is it a function of
Fedora? If so, how do I stop it?

Regards,

Mick

James Courtier-Dutton
2012-04-12 09:09:47 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear GLLUGers,
I'm running Fedora 16 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
I can't imagine the laptop doing this (?), so is it a function of
Fedora?  If so, how do I stop it?
The MAC address, as given by "ifconfig" "HWaddr" should be the same on
each reboot.
MAC address can also be displayed with "ip a"

It is possible for software to change it.
If there is a bug in the ethernet driver or a corrupted eeprom, it
might try to behave differently.

Which hardware is the nic card?
lspci -v
lspci -vnn

If you wish to fix it to a particular address, you can use the
"ifconfig" to set it to a fixed value in one of the network init
scripts.

Kind Regards

James
2012-04-15 18:17:42 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear GLLUGers,
I'm running Fedora 16 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
I can't imagine the laptop doing this (?), so is it a function of
Fedora?  If so, how do I stop it?
It is possible for software to change it. If there is a bug in the
ethernet driver or a corrupted eeprom, it might try to behave
differently.
I've seen this myself although that was 5+ years ago on a debian system.

I think it was an issue with the ethernet driver. It knew the
manufacturer value (1st three bytes?) but would randomly set the last
part of the MAC.
Which hardware is the nic card?
I can't remember, but this was specific to that particular chipset when
I checked other servers.
If you wish to fix it to a particular address, you can use the
"ifconfig" to set it to a fixed value in one of the network init
scripts.
I'm afraid my recollection of this is sketchy as this was years back and
once I resolved it I moved on. If somebody from The Positive Internet
Company Ltd is skimming this thread, I documented this issue and the fix
in the server logs for whichever machine I first found it. So an IMAP
search for messages from damion in the serverlogs archive might get the
details back.

My rough recollection of the issue goes like this:

- Box with upgraded OS worked 1st time but failed to join the network on
subsequent boots.

- Raritan NetKVM attached by our suite gnome let me see that rather than
getting an eth0 at boot, it had an eth1 and on a reboot an eth2 etc.

- The incrementing interface name explained why the network scripts at
boot time were failing to assign correct details. I started to track
down the reason after seeing tmp files parsed in /var/<something>
which were written by something in /etc/hotplug.d/ deciding that this
machine was having new/different ethernet cards added between each
boot.

- I eventually realised the MAC was changing! I initially assumed this
was an iffy driver, potentially a less capable OSS version of one with
a binary blob that wasn't sandal-wearing/treehugging/"F"ree enough for
the debian ranters^Wmaintainers, but then found it was doing this MAC
changing mess even on the older dist release, however that
lacked/cared about the hotplug side of stuff and so changing MAC
addresses didn't bother it.

- I think I saw mention in the src/via Google, an inability to correctly determine
the correct address meant it picked the last 3 bytes. I can't
remember if I fixed this with a parameter* passed to the
insmod/modprobe via the correct module aliases configuration mechanism
for this dist, or fudged the hotplug stuff to not increment the
interface even if it did see a new MAC.

*I believe the BIOS was able to correctly see a single correct MAC.

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled/verbose. It was a long time back, but as
I saw people suggest the OP was confusing IP with MAC I felt I should
jump in to say this is a real thing that can happen.

- Damion
JLMS
2012-04-12 09:40:35 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear GLLUGers,
I'm running Fedora 16 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
I can't imagine the laptop doing this (?), so is it a function of
Fedora?  If so, how do I stop it?
Regards,
Mick
I would check the eeprom in the laptop, I would not put it past them
to have a random MAC :-), in any case it would be helpful to see what
you have there.

When you say you get a different MAC do you mean that you get the same
every time but different from the one stated on the machine or that
you get a new different MAC every time you boot?

What is in your

/etc/sysconfig/networking & /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>

files?

those are places where a MAC could be set.

Also, are you doing any KVM (virtualization) set up?
Robert .
2012-04-12 09:15:16 UTC
You get a different MAC address everytime you reboot?
MAC address is set on the hardware itself, unless you're spoofing the data
you are transmitting.
Jacob Mansfield
2012-04-15 08:56:28 UTC
Post by Robert .
You get a different MAC address everytime you reboot?
MAC address is set on the hardware itself, unless you're spoofing the data you are transmitting.
When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
I'm gonna guess you meant IP address, rather than MAC address
JACOB MANSFIELD / Lead Developer
Blue Sapphire Media
email: ***@bluesapphiremedia.co.uk
skype: jacob.mansfield
Robert
2012-04-15 11:40:03 UTC
Post by Jacob Mansfield
Post by Robert .
You get a different MAC address everytime you reboot?
MAC address is set on the hardware itself, unless you're spoofing the
data you are transmitting.
When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
I'm gonna guess you meant IP address, rather than MAC address
I imagine JLMS hit the right answer, I'm wondering if Mick is setup on a
VM and this is somehow changing each time it boots?
Did a quick google and a fedora post on trying to create a
different/random MAC address can be found here (just for interest)
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-234556.html

As mentioned in that list of posts, I guess it could be useful on dual
boot machines etc.

Marcus Taylor
2012-04-15 19:00:41 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
When I boot the machine I get a Ethernet different MAC address!
I can't imagine the laptop doing this (?), so is it a function of
Fedora? If so, how do I stop it?
Almost certainly, to confirm:

Download $distro$ live cd - boot twice - is the MAC the same?

Check your BOIS - this may show you the MAC address [you may also be
able to change from here] - this shouldn't change. If so - check settings.

Limited advice to stop:

Have you checked log files [var/log/*] for any mention of mac address?

grep $currentMac$ /var/log/*
grep -i mac /var/log/*

Expect binary files warnings etc...

Is it a stock install? Any network services related running/configured?
--
Marcus Taylor (Database Application Developer)
London Internet Exchange Ltd. 2nd Floor Trinity Court, Trinity Street,
Mick Farmer
2012-04-15 20:24:03 UTC
Dear Marcus and others,

I should add that this problem only occurs with an Ethernet
connection. I was using wireless and the MAC address never
changed.

It only came to light when I moved to Ethernet to overcome
the contention problem with nearly wireless networks.

Regards,

Mick /"\
\ /
Linux Registered X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765 / \ Against HTML Mail
Stuart Sears
2012-04-16 07:42:43 UTC
Post by Mick Farmer
Dear Marcus and others,
I should add that this problem only occurs with an Ethernet
connection. I was using wireless and the MAC address never
changed.
Can you pastebin some output from when this is happening, and/or some of
the other output that was suggested here?

Without some info beyond "X is happening", we are all just essentially
guessing here.

Are these MAC Address changes random?
You can confirm that it's definitely the MAC address that's changing and
not the IP address you're receiving.
* What tells you that the MAC is changing?
* What are the actual error messages (if any) that appear?
* Have you looked for networking info in /var/log/dmesg (or the output
of the 'dmesg' command itself)?
* Do you still have a working network connection, even with the MAC
address changes?
* lspci (as suggested by James)
Post by Mick Farmer
It only came to light when I moved to Ethernet to overcome
the contention problem with nearly wireless networks.
what's the Ethernet hardware in that system?

For that matter, what model is the laptop?

Meet us halfway here with some actual information :)

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc. "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favourite day,"
said Pooh.