Dell USB problem
Christopher Hunter
2012-04-16 16:52:43 UTC
OK. dmesg gives a repeated report of "unable to enumerate USB device on
port 2 (or 1 or 4 according to the socket a USB stick is plugged into).

I'm getting really frustrated with this piece of junk - I've never had
USB problems on any machine before!

Any ideas? It's a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10.

Regards

Chris

Chris Bell
2012-04-16 17:09:16 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
Any ideas? It's a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10.
My immediate reaction would be to try running the box on a Knoppix disc,
and assuming that works just copy the files over.
--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

'lesleyb'
2012-04-17 10:45:34 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
OK. dmesg gives a repeated report of "unable to enumerate USB device on
port 2 (or 1 or 4 according to the socket a USB stick is plugged into).
I'm getting really frustrated with this piece of junk - I've never had
USB problems on any machine before!
Any ideas? It's a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10.
I googled 'Unable to enumerate USB device fix' and got
http://www.geekdevs.com/2010/04/solved-unable-to-enumerate-usb-device-disabling-ehci_hcd/

which discusses the upgrade to USB 2. I believe there is a USB 3 coming out
so, given Ubuntu's rush to the cutting edge, you may be in a similar situation
vis-a-vis USB 2 USB 3.

This link appears to be more slightly more recent
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1087323

Those links might help but the search results can be accessed here:
http://bit.ly/ID7JaS

Good luck and please do post what you found worked.

Regards

Lesley