Information Request: Firewall Kit
Alfred Kernaghan
2012-05-03 14:21:09 UTC
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alfred Kernaghan <***@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Subject: Information Request: Firewall Kit
To: ***@gllugg.org.uk

Hey all,

I'm looking after 4 racks of servers in London, up until now they've just
been locked down as much as possible individually using iptables on each
machine (and blocking/removing public interfaces where they're not strictly
necessary). We're in a bit of upheaval at the moment due to going for PCI
Compliance and improved security, so I'm securing/segmenting the network as
it stands. As opposed to a central software based firewall, the company's
opted to go down the hardware route and get a full fledged firewall.

I don't have a lot of experience with hardware/dedicated firewall
appliances, but I've had recommendations for a few different brands, Cisco,
Checkpoint, Watchguard and Barracuda. As you'd all know, attempts to ask
our vendor or Google for recommendations has been relatively fruitless in
that I feel I'm getting up-sold (as much as possible) on very biased
recommendations!

Our requirements aren't huge, it's for a moderate to high use UK website
(runs along happily at ~12mbps on our burstable pipe 99% of the time) and
will simply need to firewall between 3 internal VLANS (1x DMZ and 2x
private).

It's not money dependant really, I just want to get something recommended
by someone in the industry who's not in it just for a kick back, and will
support our simple requirements, with room for growth of course.

Could anyone shed any light on any of the above vendors, or recommend
anyone else (I'm completely open to ideas). As a base, I've been looking
so far at the Watchguard XTM 3 or 5 series and the equivalent model(s) from
Barracuda Networks.

Cheers, and thanks in advance

Kerno
James Courtier-Dutton
2012-05-03 19:03:35 UTC
[...]
I would go for any firewall that is EAL4+ approved.
Various ones are listed on the CESG (Part of GCHQ) web site.
http://www.cesg.gov.uk/finda/Pages/CCITSECSearch.aspx
http://www.cesg.gov.uk/finda/Pages/CCITSECResults.aspx?post=1&type=Firewall&status=Certified&sort=name
http://www.cesg.gov.uk/publications/Documents/directory.pdf

I have seen cyberguard firewalls used a lot, and they seem to work
well and are easy to use.

Kind Regards

James
Andy Millar
2012-05-03 21:26:52 UTC
Post by Alfred Kernaghan
I don't have a lot of experience with hardware/dedicated firewall
appliances, but I've had recommendations for a few different brands,
Cisco, Checkpoint, Watchguard and Barracuda.  As you'd all know,
attempts to ask our vendor or Google for recommendations has been
relatively fruitless in that I feel I'm getting up-sold (as much as
possible) on very biased recommendations!
The Juniper ISG1000 is a reasonable firewall, and I find ScreenOS really easy to use.

Be careful about buying an under-powered firewall if you're doing inter-vlan routing on your internal network.

Andy
Chris Bell
2012-05-03 20:02:59 UTC
www.ipcop.org works well
--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Caparo
2012-05-03 21:47:11 UTC
[...]
One word IPcop.
--
TTFN
Caparo.

Andy Millar
2012-05-03 21:49:14 UTC
Post by Caparo
One word IPcop.
This sounds like an auditor placating exercise.

IPcop isn't going to fly, you're pretty much stuck with the "industry leading" Cisco or Juniper.

Andy
Chanka Perera
2012-05-05 05:53:28 UTC
Post by Andy Millar
Post by Caparo
One word IPcop.
This sounds like an auditor placating exercise.
IPcop isn't going to fly, you're pretty much stuck with the "industry
leading" Cisco or Juniper.
+1 I think best bet to look at cisco, checkpoint & netscreen to get PCI
compliance.

Cheers!
Chanka

Keith Edmunds
2012-05-03 21:59:37 UTC
Post by Caparo
One word IPcop.
One word? Probably not necessary to quote the entire preceding 272, then...
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?
tid
2012-05-04 10:20:41 UTC
I've used vyatta in the past - they frontend IPtables with a
cisco/juniper-like interface
James Courtier-Dutton
2012-05-04 21:27:31 UTC
[...]
"PCI Compliance" is actually quite difficult to get right.
I would be surprised if some open source firewall will be enough.
That is why I suggested EAL4+ firewalls.
For projects I have worked on, PCI Compliance adds millions to the
cost of the project.
For those the PCI Compliance was required due to the processing of
Visa Cards on a web site, and the associated personal data and the
required security assurance around it.
Do not under estimate the cost of PCI Compliance.
Most of the time, it is cheaper to use a PCI compliant 3rd party to
handle the Visa Card Payments.