Dell Latitudes D830 USB problem....
Christopher Hunter
2012-04-18 23:25:25 UTC
Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
1.1, not USB 2....

Ubuntu 11.10 (and several other modern distros I've tried) don't seem to
handle USB 1.1. Has anyone got a fix for this - some clever driver or
kernel patch that'll allow me to downgrade to USB 1.1?

Chris

JLMS
2012-04-19 06:52:37 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
1.1, not USB 2....
Ubuntu 11.10 (and several other modern distros I've tried) don't seem to
handle USB 1.1.  Has anyone got a fix for this - some clever driver or
kernel patch that'll allow me to downgrade to USB 1.1?
Chris
Surely that is a bug! You may want to report it.

One of the selling points of Linux is good support for old hardware,
not working with USB 1 is a show stopper in that front surely...
Chris Bell
2012-04-19 07:13:52 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
Ubuntu 11.10 (and several other modern distros I've tried) don't seem to
handle USB 1.1. Has anyone got a fix for this - some clever driver or
kernel patch that'll allow me to downgrade to USB 1.1?
I have saved several old versions of Knoppix and can easily burn more
copies
--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

James Courtier-Dutton
2012-04-19 07:55:43 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
1.1, not USB 2....
Ubuntu 11.10 (and several other modern distros I've tried) don't seem to
handle USB 1.1.  Has anyone got a fix for this - some clever driver or
kernel patch that'll allow me to downgrade to USB 1.1?
I think your hope for a fix is flawed.

Linux quad 3.1.1 #5 SMP Tue Apr 17 08:37:05 BST 2012 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsusb -v
Extract:
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp. Natural Ergonomic
Keyboard 4000 V1.0
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB 2.00

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 045e:0039 Microsoft Corp. IntelliMouse Optical
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB 1.10

So, I have a keyboard that is USB 2.0 and a Mouse that is USB 1.1 and
they are both working on kernel 3.1.1
So, the latest Linux kernel does support USB 1.1 devices.

FYI, there are actully two different drivers, one does 1.1 and the
other does 2.0
From lspci, you have for USB 1.1 uhci_hcd:
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #4 (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82d4
I/O ports at b800 [size=32]
Capabilities: [50] Vendor Specific Information: Len=06 <?>
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd

you have for USB 2.0 ehci_hcd:
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #2 (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82d4
Memory at fe4ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
Capabilities: [98] Vendor Specific Information: Len=06 <?>
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

So, if your motherboard only does USB 1.1, it should have uhci_hcd
next to the USB hardware.

Note the a USB 2.0 device does not have to work with a USB 1.1 port,
some devices support both USB 2.0 and USB 1.1, but not all.
A USB 2.0 port should work with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices.

I think your problem is that you have a USB 2.0 device that cannot
work with a USB 1.1 port.

If you do a lspci -v, and see any ehci_hcd, it means you have USB 2.0
capable ports.
If you do a lspci -v, and all you see is uhci_hcd, it means you have
USB 1.1 capable ports.

If you spot a ehci_hcd, then it could be that only one port is USB 2.0 capable.

Kind Regards

James
Christian Smith
2012-04-19 14:29:02 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
1.1, not USB 2....
Are you sure? The D830 is Core2 based, no? Any laptop of that vintage will
include USB2.0.

What does lspci output?

Christian
John Edwards
2012-04-19 15:00:29 UTC
Hello Christopher + GLLUG
Post by Christian Smith
Post by Christopher Hunter
Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
1.1, not USB 2....
Are you sure? The D830 is Core2 based, no? Any laptop of that vintage will
include USB2.0.
Confirmed by the first link in a Google search for "D830" and "USB2":
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Latitude_D830
Post by Christian Smith
What does lspci output?
And does it match the lspci on the above webpage?

You could also have a look through /var/log/dmesg for messages to do
with USB, ohci (the Open Host Controller Interface, for USB 1.1) and
ehci (Enhanced Host Controller Interface, for USB 2.0).

As for Ubuntu 11.10 and other distributions not supporting USB 1.1,
I think Christopher needs to say where he got that idea. It's not
something I've ever met or heard of. There may be *particular*
USB 1.1 devices that are not supported, such as those that require
firmware to be uploaded. That should not include USB drives.
| John Edwards Email: ***@cornerstonelinux.co.uk |
Chris Bell
2012-04-19 21:23:11 UTC
Post by Christian Smith
Post by Christopher Hunter
Finally, I've made some minor progress - the "USB device cannot be
enumerated" persists, but I've found out that the USB ports are only USB
1.1, not USB 2....
Are you sure? The D830 is Core2 based, no? Any laptop of that vintage will
include USB2.0.
What does lspci output?
I was told that there was little difference between USB1 and USB2, the
main difference being the 5volt power supply current capability, easily
overcome by linking two USB ports.
--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Chris E Hunter

Christian
John Edwards
2012-04-20 09:50:06 UTC
The USB ports on the laptop itself are USB 1.1  The ports on the
docking station are USB 2.  This one doesn't have a docking station
(yet). It's an appallingly badly designed piece of junk!
Dell and many other people say it has onboard USB2:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd830/en/UG_EN/html/specs.htm
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Latitude_D830

The most obvious way to reconcile this with your statements is that
maybe your laptop does have USB2 port, but they are not working?

Which is why people are suggesting that you check lspci and dmesg,
and maybe use a Live CD from a different distribution.
| John Edwards Email: ***@cornerstonelinux.co.uk |
Christopher Hunter
2012-04-20 19:34:11 UTC
Post by John Edwards
The USB ports on the laptop itself are USB 1.1 The ports on the
docking station are USB 2. This one doesn't have a docking station
(yet). It's an appallingly badly designed piece of junk!
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd830/en/UG_EN/html/specs.htm
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Latitude_D830
The most obvious way to reconcile this with your statements is that
maybe your laptop does have USB2 port, but they are not working?
Which is why people are suggesting that you check lspci and dmesg,
and maybe use a Live CD from a different distribution.
I have tried ALL the remedies suggested by the good folks here and all
have failed. USB 2 support is compiled into the kernel, and all USB 1
devices work without issue. Every USB device I've tried (including a
modem) worked OK as USB 2. It just fails to enumerate ANY storage
device.

Dell say (when pressed) that the on-board ports are USB 1.1, and the
external ports (on the docking station) are USB 2.

I got a genuine Dell docking station today for £9.50 on Ebay (Dell price
£146!), and when it's connected, the extra USB ports are fine with USB 2
storage devices!!!

I suspect that there's a jumper on the main board somewhere that
"upgrades" the USB.....

Chris