nullmailer or ssmtp
john gennard
2012-03-29 17:26:02 UTC
I recently posted a question and need further assistance since the
residual problems after a stroke leave me impaired.

I've been attempting to configure getmail, maildrop, mutt and either
ssmtp or nullmailer. At last I have got the first three working (I'll
have to do some fine tuning, but that should be alright).

But I'm really stuck with sending mail. I think ssmtp would now be my
best bet. I've tried so many configurations, but none seem to work.

For my sins I have BT Broadband, who use Yahoo and their web site
is a real mess which is difficult to understand. I keep getting 553
error messages and I've sorted out that problem at least four times
(well I think I've sorted them out!!!). On a Windows box things seem
sort of OK, but I want my Debian box working and Yahoo don't seem to
want to know, there is no help with any usable details. I don't know
what they want.

I've Debian 6.04
BTYahoo's smtp server is "mail.btinternet.com"
Port 25
The authUser is ***@btinternet.com.
The authpass is xxxxxx
I don't know if TLS is used
And I don't know whether EHLO/STARTTLS before starting SSL
authmethod is unknown

None of the configurations I've tried have opened the server.

Could anyone suggest a ssmtp.conf file I could try?.
Or how I could get some sense out of Yahoo??.

John.
2012-03-30 07:53:05 UTC
It may be worth trying the mail submission port, 587, rather than 25. It's the same protocol, but intended for sending mail to others rather than receiving your mail from others.

Dave
--
Sent using from a tiny keypad.

t.clarke
2012-03-30 08:52:33 UTC
I have never used secure smtp, but the info I have indicates that it is done
over a completely different port to 25, which is used for (unsecure) smtp only.

Why not try ordinary smtp over port 25 and if that works, fine!

Do you really need secure smtp anyway? - the vast majority of emails are
sent over the internet (to the best of my knowledge) using ordinary smtp.
Secure smtp would seem to be only necessary if you have emails you really
want to keep absolutely secure (though its quite probable that once they
reach bT 'securely' they will be unsecure from that proint on!).

Tim
Nix
2012-03-30 11:50:21 UTC
Post by t.clarke
I have never used secure smtp, but the info I have indicates that it is done
over a completely different port to 25, which is used for (unsecure) smtp only.
Why not try ordinary smtp over port 25 and if that works, fine!
Do you really need secure smtp anyway? - the vast majority of emails are
sent over the internet (to the best of my knowledge) using ordinary smtp.
Most submission these days -- pretty much all submission not on a
private LAN -- requires authenticated SMTP or some other authenticated
protocol. Anything else will be exploited by spammers before you can say
'enlargement'.
--
NULL && (void)
David Damerell
2012-03-30 14:08:56 UTC
Post by john gennard
None of the configurations I've tried have opened the server.
The obvious question is, what happens when you try? Error messages,
logs, as much detail as possible.
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is First Aponoia, April.
2012-04-01 13:30:59 UTC
Post by David Damerell
Post by john gennard
None of the configurations I've tried have opened the server.
The obvious question is, what happens when you try? Error messages,
logs, as much detail as possible.
I've tried many different configurations, but none seem to work.
I even tried with port 587.

The error messages seem similar to one another. I attach a copy of the
latest config file and some error messages. Sorry for the strange
means of sending, but the box I'm trying to get going is in another room.
I can't send from that obviously.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Regards, John.