Dell Problems
Christopher Hunter
2012-04-15 21:21:06 UTC
All

My neighbour wants to try Ubuntu on his Dell Latitude D830 after the
usual Windows disasters. A quick install of the latest Ubuntu was
entirely successful except for one issue - the USB ports don't work.

We recovered a whole lot of media from the hard drive of the laptop
before formatting it, and now want to restore it using a USB stick.

All the USB devices I've tried work OK on my machines, but cannot be
seen by this Dell. Any suggestions?

Chris

Christopher Hunter
2012-04-15 21:31:33 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
All
My neighbour wants to try Ubuntu on his Dell Latitude D830 after the
usual Windows disasters. A quick install of the latest Ubuntu was
entirely successful except for one issue - the USB ports don't work.
We recovered a whole lot of media from the hard drive of the laptop
before formatting it, and now want to restore it using a USB stick.
All the USB devices I've tried work OK on my machines, but cannot be
seen by this Dell. Any suggestions?
One bit of further information - a USB mouse plugged into the ports
works OK. It just seems to be storage media that it can't "see".

Chris

Keith Edmunds
2012-04-15 21:49:02 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
It just seems to be storage media that it can't "see".
Is it that it can't see it, or that it isn't mounting?

You may want to look at the log files or dmesg when the drive is plugged
in.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?
Christian Smith
2012-04-15 22:47:44 UTC
Post by Keith Edmunds
Post by Christopher Hunter
It just seems to be storage media that it can't "see".
Is it that it can't see it, or that it isn't mounting?
You may want to look at the log files or dmesg when the drive is plugged
in.
Or check the output of the lsusb command.
Robert
2012-04-16 06:21:41 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
Post by Christopher Hunter
All
My neighbour wants to try Ubuntu on his Dell Latitude D830 after the
usual Windows disasters. A quick install of the latest Ubuntu was
entirely successful except for one issue - the USB ports don't work.
We recovered a whole lot of media from the hard drive of the laptop
before formatting it, and now want to restore it using a USB stick.
All the USB devices I've tried work OK on my machines, but cannot be
seen by this Dell. Any suggestions?
One bit of further information - a USB mouse plugged into the ports
works OK. It just seems to be storage media that it can't "see".
Chris
Hi Chris,

Like Keith said, plug in the USB drive, check the tail end of your dmesg
log to see if it is detected and just not mounted.

If so:
A quick search on the web for "linux auto mount usb" will give you the
step by step guide you need to get working as you desire.

2012-04-16 09:30:50 UTC
Post by Christopher Hunter
My neighbour wants to try Ubuntu on his Dell Latitude D830 after the
usual Windows disasters. A quick install of the latest Ubuntu was
entirely successful except for one issue - the USB ports don't work.
When you say "latest Ubuntu" do you mean the 11.10 release or the 12.04 beta? I had problems with USB devices not being detected on my laptop running 11.10 which went away when I installed 12.04. You might want to give the beta a whirl if you haven't already.

jim
--
Jim Cameron, Software Engineer, Bühler Sortex Limited
Registered in England No. 434274

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential,
may be legally privileged and is designated exclusively
for the intended recipient. Access by any other person is
not authorised. Any disclosure of this e-mail or of names
of persons mentioned therein as well as any storing,
copying, distribution and dissemination is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately
delete this e-mail and notify the sender by phone or by e-mail.
Progga
Nix
2012-04-17 13:39:14 UTC
Post by j***@buhlergroup.com
This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential,
may be legally privileged and is designated exclusively
for the intended recipient. Access by any other person is
not authorised. Any disclosure of this e-mail or of names
of persons mentioned therein as well as any storing,
copying, distribution and dissemination is strictly prohibited.
That's really disturbing. I know two other people called 'Jim Cameron'
(it's a fairly common name). Does this footer mean I can't call any of
them by their real names anymore? Did the people who wrote this footer
think for even a minute when they wrote it?

(Is this footer a legal nonsense with no power over anyone? Why, yes, it
is.)
--
NULL && (void)
Keith Edmunds
2012-04-17 18:52:41 UTC
is designated exclusively for the intended recipient.
Ah, so we have to be mind-readers, too?!

Andy Millar
2012-04-17 20:47:16 UTC
Post by Nix
(Is this footer a legal nonsense with no power over anyone? Why, yes, it
is.)
But it makes Legal happy, so you're going to have to live with it :-)

Andy