suse 12.1 not connect online
Diana Scott
2012-04-21 20:15:19 UTC
I have installed suse 12.1 on a new hard drive but not able to go online with the plug n play internet connection . Do you know how to config to go online ?

Please advise .

Diana
DL Neil
2012-04-21 20:32:12 UTC
Diana,

On 22/04/12 08:15, Diana Scott wrote:
> I have installed suse 12.1 on a new hard drive but not able to go online
> with the plug n play internet connection . Do you know how to config to
> go online ?

Please provide a little more information:
- what equipment are you using to access the Internet?
- what sort of machine are we talking about?
- is it directly connected or working on a LAN/network?
- have you installed NetworkManager or some such software?

--
Regards,
=dn
Diana Scott
2012-04-21 20:59:27 UTC
I am using a vaio laptop and an external modem from virgin media . I have installed network manager - gnome

Please advise .

Diana

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-21 21:06:25 UTC
Hi Diana,

We need more details. What do you mean by an external modem?

Do you mean a 3G modem? If yes, please give more detail. How does it
connect to the laptop (USB)? What is it's model number? What is its
product number? Include any other info you might have, modems are
peculiar animals.

Regards
Dimitris

Diana Scott
2012-04-21 21:34:58 UTC
Hi Dimitris

The modem model number is E08C007 It has a network cable to laptop for broadband connection .

Please advise .

Diana

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-21 21:55:08 UTC
Hi Diana,

>From your description it sounds like it is a Virgin cable modem that
connects to your laptop via an ethernet cable. If that's wrong please
say so. I have no experience with cable modems but there are generic
steps we can follow before going into cable modem specifics.

Please send the output of these commands:

1) ip link
2) ip addr
3) ip route

Does network manager report a successful connection at the ethernet level?

Regards,
Dimitris

Diana Scott
2012-04-21 22:30:08 UTC
Hi Dimitris

Ip link
1 lo<loopback , up , lower up > mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state unknown
Link / loopback 00 00 00 00 brd 00 00 00
2 eth0 broadcast multicast , up , lower up , mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo fast state up ql en1000
Link / ether 54 42 49 0c brd ff ff ff
3 wlan0 broadcast multicast mtu 1500 qdisc noop state down qlen 1000

Network manager only state network connection has been disconnected

Please advise .

Diana

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-21 22:35:16 UTC
What about the the other two?
2) ip addr
3) ip route

Dimitris

Diana Scott
2012-04-21 22:48:55 UTC
ip addr
Inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
Inet6 1/128 scope host
Valid lft forever preferred lft forever
2 inet6 fe80 5642 49ff fe0c 4c38/64 scope link
Valid lft forever preferred lft forever

Nothing show after typed in ip route

Please advise .

Diana

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-21 22:59:30 UTC
You are not getting an IP address. That's a showstopper. DHCP is
probably failing or not occurring at all.

Try the following:

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
or
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages (if the first fails)

Then unplug the network cable, wait a few seconds, and plug it in again,
wait for 30 seconds, and send us the output of the tail command.

Regards,
Dimitris

Diana Scott
2012-04-21 23:28:30 UTC
sudo command not found
It cannot open tail -f /var/log/syslog for reading no such file or directory
It cannot open Tail -f /var/log/ messages for reading permission denied
Same after unplug

Please advise .

Diana

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-21 23:43:32 UTC
You need to run the command as root. I don't know how you do that in
Suse. Find out how to become root in Suse and then type the commands
without the 'sudo' prefix.

Dimitris

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 00:13:37 UTC
i thought i was logged in as root already . I need to look up further tomorrow. Thank you for your help .

Best wishes .

Diana

Chris Bell
2012-04-22 05:43:52 UTC
On Sun 22 Apr, Diana Scott wrote:
> Please advise .

Do any indicator LEDs go out when you unplug the cable, and come back on
when you re-connect? Could the cable have died?

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 09:26:00 UTC
when I unplug the cable and the LED light enet went out . It came back on when i plug back the cable .

Please advise .

Diana

Andrzej Szczygielski
2012-04-22 09:41:20 UTC
What about su command

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 09:57:42 UTC
can u advise to install su command ?

Andrzej Szczygielski
2012-04-22 10:00:21 UTC
have you tried it it should be in the system already

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 10:13:27 UTC
yes . I logged in as su. What can i do next ?

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:00:21 +0100
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@gllug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Gllug] suse 12.1 not connect online

Andrzej Szczygielski
2012-04-22 10:24:04 UTC
just run these commands as you were to run with sudo

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 10:31:05 UTC
sudo
Command not found

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:24:04 +0100
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@gllug.org.uk

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:00:21 +0100
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@gllug.org.uk

Andrzej Szczygielski
2012-04-22 10:34:39 UTC
I don't if it would be that helpful but post ifconfig output

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 11:03:40 UTC
ifconfig
Eth0 link encap ethernet hwaddr 54 42 49 0c 4c 38
Inet6 addr fe80 5642 49ff fe0c 4c38 /64 scope link
Up broadcast running multicast mtu 1500 metric 1
Rx packets 10, tx packets 48, txqueuelen 1000
Rx bytes 3278 tx bytes 10080 interrupt 18

Lo link encap local loopback
Inet addr 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr 1/128 scope host
Up loopback running mtu 16436 metric 1
Rx packets 12 tx packets 12 rx bytes 760 tx bytes 760 (760.0.b)
Please advise

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:24:04 +0100
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@gllug.org.uk

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:00:21 +0100
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@gllug.org.uk

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-22 14:47:14 UTC
On 22/04/12 01:13, Diana Scott wrote:
> i thought i was logged in as root already . I need to look up further
> tomorrow. Thank you for your help .
>
> Best wishes .
>
> Diana

Hi Diana,

To find out which user you are, type

whoami

And it will tell you which user you are.

Regards,
Dimitris
Diana Scott
2012-04-22 10:28:07 UTC
after i typed in tail -f /var/log/syslog
Standard input and pause , nothing else
Same result with tail -f /var/log/messages
Nothing comes out after standard input .

Please advise

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-22 14:51:39 UTC
On 22/04/12 11:28, Diana Scott wrote:
> after i typed in tail -f /var/log/syslog
> Standard input and pause , nothing else
> Same result with tail -f /var/log/messages
> Nothing comes out after standard input .
>
> Please advise

Hi Diana,

It is unlikely that the syslog is going anywhere else (although not
impossible). Personally, I have always seen it go to either
/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog.

Lets try this to confirm the location of the your syslog file:

Make sure you are root. 'whoami' must say: root

cat /var/log/syslog
cat /var/log/messages

Dimitris
Diana Scott
2012-04-22 15:53:30 UTC
i log in as root
Both cat/var/log/syslog and cat/var/messages said no such file or directory

Please advise .

Diana

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-22 15:59:47 UTC
On 22/04/12 16:53, Diana Scott wrote:
> i log in as root
> Both cat/var/log/syslog and cat/var/messages said no such file or directory
>
> Please advise .
>
> Diana

What does this say (as root):

ls -l /var/log
Diana Scott
2012-04-22 16:12:42 UTC
as root
Ls -l /var/log
Total 29052 and a list of programs
But a zero with the networkmanager

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-22 16:28:55 UTC
On 22/04/12 17:12, Diana Scott wrote:
> as root
> Ls -l /var/log
> Total 29052 and a list of programs
> But a zero with the networkmanager

Diana,

I have asked for the output of 'ls -l /var/log', I didn't say anything
about network manager. I am looking for your system log. Networkmanager
sends its logs to the system log usually.

You are not following my instructions. I have made the instructions as
simple as possible but you are not executing them as stated. You are my
hands and eyes, if you don't do as I say, I can't help you I am afraid.

Dimitris
Diana Scott
2012-04-22 17:26:10 UTC
sorry . Output of ls -l /var/log is as follows
Total 30596
-rw-r 1 root root 0 acpid
-rw-r--1 root root 1865 alternatives.log
-rw-r--r 1 root root 26223 boot.kiwi
-rw-r--r root root 0 boot .msg
-rw-- 1 root utmp 0 btmp
Drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 consolekit
Drwxr-xr-x 2 lp lp 4096 cups
-rw-- 1 root root 24024 faillog
-rw-r- 1 root root 0 firewall
Drwxrwx--T 2 root gdm 4096 gdm
Drwx-- 2 root root 4096 krb5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 292584 lastlog
-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 mail
-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 mail .err
-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 mail .info
-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 mail .warn
-rw-r-- 1 root root 21373901 messages
-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 networkmanager
Drwxr-x-- 2 news news 4096 news
-rw-r-- 1 root root 9454590 warn
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 42624 wtmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27127 xorg.0.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27716 xorg.0.log.old
Drwx-- 2 root root 4096 yast 2
Drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 zypp

Please advise

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-22 17:37:47 UTC
This shows that the file /var/log/messages exists and has lots of data
and is most probably the destination of the system logs.

So now that have identified the system log, please do the following.

Run the commands:
logger HELLO
tail -f -n 100 /var/log/messages

Diana Scott
2012-04-22 18:54:40 UTC
i typed logger HELLO
Tail -f -n 100 /var/log/messages
It came with a list rolling up testing "unable to enumerate usb device number on port 2 using ehci hcd
The list has been rolling and testing since i pressed enter 15 mins ago and still running

Dimitrios Siganos
2012-04-22 19:02:09 UTC
It will never stop. I should probably have told you. You must press
Control-C to kill it, if you want.

That's why I said to wait for x seconds and post the results.

Dimitris

Nix
2012-04-22 21:15:04 UTC
On 22 Apr 2012, Diana Scott spake thusly:

> i log in as root
> Both cat/var/log/syslog and cat/var/messages said no such file or directory

The latter is because it should be /var/log/messages.

--
NULL && (void)
DL Neil
2012-04-21 21:30:38 UTC
Diana,

On 22/04/12 08:59, Diana Scott wrote:
> I am using a vaio laptop and an external modem from virgin media . I
> have installed network manager - gnome

The community of like-minded folk here varies from beginners to
top-professionals. The more information you are able to share, the more
prepared people will be to volunteer assistance - and this not altered
by you confessing ignorance or better skill-level...

Let's start with the hardware:
- do you have another computer or modem available that does?not work?
- which part(s) of the set-up is/are 'new'?
- which model of Vaio?
- when you say "modem" are we talking analog/dial-up, DSL, Fiber, or what?
- which model name/nr of modem?
- what instructions did they provide with the unit?
- how are the Virgin Media modem and the Vaio connected (cable?wireless)
- (if) are there 'flashing lights' at the cable connection at the Vaio end?
- does the modem show a "power" light?
- (if cabled) does the modem show a "LAN/Ethernet" light?
- (if not) does the modem show a "WLAN/Activity" light?
- does the modem show a "DSL" and/or "Internet" and/or "PPP" lights?
[please substitute your devices' lights and port 'names' so that folk
familiar with your device (I'm not) may be able to jump-in]
NB if the above is "no" then the trail stops with this next step!
- have you checked with Virgin (and they may not (want to) 'support'
Linux - see first question!) that their circuit is working correctly?
(FYI they should be able to 'see' the modem from their end, even if they
don't care for your Linux 'seeing' the modem at yours)

Assuming all of the above, what do the instructions say is the method to
connect your PC to the modem? eg is there an IP address (such as
192.168.1.1) that should be entered into a browser? What happens when
the PC (attempts to) connect?

Diana Scott
2012-04-21 22:03:04 UTC
dn

The computer was able to go online until I changed a new hard disk and install this software .

It is a broadband model no E08C007

I phoned up virgin media they said it is a plug n play connection no need for passwords but they don't provide support for linux

The lights on enet , sync , power , ready are stable indicate modem functioning fine

In network manager show hardware address , speed at 10mbs , device mac address using automatic dhcp, mtu automatic .

I don't have an ip address for the browser .

Please advise .

Diana

Christopher Hunter
2012-04-22 18:13:02 UTC
On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 23:03 +0100, Diana Scott wrote:
> [...]
> > - does the modem show a "DSL" and/or "Internet" and/or "PPP" lights?
> > [please substitute your devices' lights and port 'names' so that
> folk
> > familiar with your device (I'm not) may be able to jump-in]
> > NB if the above is "no" then the trail stops with this next step!
> > - have you checked with Virgin (and they may not (want to)
> 'support'
> > Linux - see first question!) that their circuit is working
> correctly?
> > (FYI they should be able to 'see' the modem from their end, even if
> they
> > don't care for your Linux 'seeing' the modem at yours)
> >
> > Assuming all of the above, what do the instructions say is the
> method to
> > connect your PC to the modem? eg is there an IP address (such as
> > 192.168.1.1) that should be entered into a browser? What happens

Diana

Please be aware:

Virgin Media are about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.

VM will take lots of money from you, whether they provide any service or
not.

VM don't believe that there's any other operating system than Windows
(they even can't understand Apple gear).

VM can disconnect your service arbitrarily if you admit to trying to
connect anything other than Windows (they think you're trying to attack
their "service"). Only Windows accords with their silly "Terms of
Service".

Their "modem" is notoriously unreliable. They shipped me four of them
before I found one that would work, and even then it wasn't capable of
providing the data speed they claimed, and they wouldn't do anything to
fix it.

Try resetting their modem - cycle the power. If the lights come back on
and show connection, plug in your computer to it, and try a "ping" to
see if the modem replies (check its address in their instructions - I
think it's 192.168.1.1). Check the settings that they provide:

DHCP enabled.

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps

Chris

Ken Smith
2012-04-22 21:01:26 UTC
Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 23:03 +0100, Diana Scott wrote:
>
> {snip}
> Diana
>
> Please be aware:
>
> Virgin Media are about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.
>
> VM will take lots of money from you, whether they provide any service or
> not.
>
> VM don't believe that there's any other operating system than Windows
> (they even can't understand Apple gear).
>
> VM can disconnect your service arbitrarily if you admit to trying to
> connect anything other than Windows (they think you're trying to attack
> their "service"). Only Windows accords with their silly "Terms of
> Service".
>
> Their "modem" is notoriously unreliable. They shipped me four of them
> before I found one that would work, and even then it wasn't capable of
> providing the data speed they claimed, and they wouldn't do anything to
> fix it.
>
> Try resetting their modem - cycle the power. If the lights come back on
> and show connection, plug in your computer to it, and try a "ping" to
> see if the modem replies (check its address in their instructions - I
> think it's 192.168.1.1). Check the settings that they provide:
>
> DHCP enabled.
>
> Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
>
> Gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Chris
>

> --

It used to be the case that Virgin Media's DHCP would only issue an IP
address to the machine whose MAC address they had seen before. So if you
swap the connected device VM's DHCP won't give it an IP address.
Nonsense to my thinking, but seemingly if you shut down VM's modem and
leave it for half an hour or so and then start it up again it appears to
forget the previous MAC address and allow a new device to connect. I had
thought that had dispensed with this but in some areas it might still
happen.

I too have measured VM throttling their connections. A download that
will kick off at 15-20Mbps will drop down to 3-4 or less over a few
minutes. I have never seen one particular new 30 Meg connection exceed
20. And there isn't any excuse of flaky old wiring that can be given in
a xDSL connection, VM's network is mainly fairly recent coax. The coax
must be clean to almost 1Gig otherwise their TV service wouldn't work.

Hope that helps

believed to be clean.

Ian Northeast
2012-04-22 23:27:30 UTC
Ken Smith wrote:

> It used to be the case that Virgin Media's DHCP would only issue an IP
> address to the machine whose MAC address they had seen before. So if you
> swap the connected device VM's DHCP won't give it an IP address.
> Nonsense to my thinking, but seemingly if you shut down VM's modem and
> leave it for half an hour or so and then start it up again it appears to
> forget the previous MAC address and allow a new device to connect. I had
> thought that had dispensed with this but in some areas it might still
> happen.

IME it's necessary to restart the cable modem to attach a new client but
there's no need to leave it off for any length of time. Just restarting
it does it. This has been the case for a few years now, it did indeed
used to (mis)behave as you say. I'm not sure why it's necessary to
restart it at all, I think it may be a rather crude way to ensure that
only one client can be connected at a time.

Someone mentioned VM being useless earlier. Also IME, they are not. The
actual service is pretty good, and I normally get my full 20Mb/s. If you
are unfortunate enough to have to call their support line they are
totally useless though.

with OpenBSD and now Linux for 10 years now and I've not had any issue
with that. Of course, I've never actually mentioned what I'm using, I
just say "router".

Regards, Ian
John Hearns
2012-04-23 08:43:23 UTC
unable to enumerate usb device number on port 2 using ehci hcd

I think I have seen something similar - forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm
trying to find the trouble ticket I filed on it.
When you remove USB devices, such as keyboards and micem and re-plug
them in with some varieties of USB the devices are not

The fix is to add this parameter to the kernel options in grub
usbcore.use_both_schemes=1

>From /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/core/hub.c

*
* As of 2.6.10 we introduce a new USB device initialization scheme which
* closely resembles the way Windows works. Hopefully it will be compatible
* with a wider range of devices than the old scheme. However some previously
* working devices may start giving rise to "device not accepting address"
* errors; if that happens the user can try the old scheme by adjusting the
* following module parameters.
*
* For maximum flexibility there are two boolean parameters to control the
* hub driver's behavior. On the first initialization attempt, if the
* "old_scheme_first" parameter is set then the old scheme will be used,
* otherwise the new scheme is used. If that fails and "use_both_schemes"
* is set, then the driver will make another attempt, using the other scheme.
*/

Actually, that is a different message. But you are definitely having
USB problems.

Does this modem requite the usb modeswitch commands to switch it from
being a mass storage device to acting as a modem?

Oliver Howe
2012-04-22 10:42:03 UTC
Hi Diana,

What does it say when you do

ls -la /var/log/

??

(Sorry about top posting - my phone won't let me put it at the bottom)
------------------------------

Jake
2012-04-22 12:50:36 UTC
HI Diana,
Sounds like you're having a rough time. I have that same modem (Virgin
Media E08C007) and have never had any problems getting it to connect with
Linux although I do use a router rather than connect directly.

Forgive me if I'm asking you to reapeat any information, can you confirm
that the green lights on the modem labeled; Power, enet, sync and ready are
all displaying solid green.
On my old Viao laptop there are two network ports one for the integrated
modem and one Ethernet jack. Please confirm, you are connecting to the
Ethernet jack, on mine its labeled with a sort of "tree-like" little
network diagram, while the modem port has an icon that looks a bit like an
inverted stepped pyramid.

When you are entering commands into the terminal you should be able to
tell if you have 'su' permissions, the prompt will end with a # (hash)
symbol rather than the normal $ dollar sign.

Do you know which version of the suse desktop environment you have
currently installed? (usually either Gnome or KDE)

If you are still struggling this evening (GMT) I will fire-up your version
of suse onto a machine here and try to directly connect.

Jake

Tethys
2012-04-23 08:56:06 UTC
Jake writes:

>HI Diana,
>Sounds like you're having a rough time. I have that same modem (Virgin
>Media E08C007) and have never had any problems getting it to connect with
>Linux although I do use a router rather than connect directly.

That's probably because all the evidence points to Diana Scott being
a troll account...

Tet
Frank Scott
2012-04-23 09:06:37 UTC
Hi All,

Can I ask everybody following this thread to conform with the list house rules
and trim their replies.

<http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/#id2663871>

This untrimmed message now exceeds 69kB and if you don't trim, more of
you will be shunted onto the moderator queue and be left in limbo until
some (un)kind moderator sets you free!

Frank
--
.^. .''`.
/V\ : ;` : Frank Scott Sutton, London
Richard W.M. Jones
2012-04-24 18:09:28 UTC
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:06:37AM +0100, Frank Scott wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can I ask everybody following this thread to conform with the list house rules
> and trim their replies.
>
> <http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/#id2663871>
>
> This untrimmed message now exceeds 69kB and if you don't trim, more of
> you will be shunted onto the moderator queue and be left in limbo until
> some (un)kind moderator sets you free!

And a bit less top-posting wouldn't go amiss either ...

Rich.
Chris E Hunter
2012-04-23 12:51:10 UTC
My experience with VM is that they could never achieve the data rates they advertised and then they compounded that with stupid, arbitrary usage limits (it was NEVER actually "unlimited"). Then they started selling usage data to "Phorm".

Chris

Sent from Samsung Mobile